Consultant, Organizational Start-up, Eastern Democratic Republic of CongoPosted in News
The Grassroots Reconciliation Group (GRG) is seeking a consultant to set up its projects and identify funding for work in North Kivu, eastern D.R. Congo. GRG is a small NGO that has organized conflict prevention, reintegration, and livelihoods programs for ex-combatants and their communities in Northern Uganda since 2007, having worked with over 1,500 participants. We are now seeking to set up projects in eastern Congo.
The consultant would work independently to lead this process. The consultant’s direct supervisors are based outside Congo, but the consultant will receive briefings and written information about GRG to understand the organization sufficiently. GRG has taken two scoping trips to North Kivu and has a few leads on possible project set-up. This consultancy would build on those trips and finalize plans, funding, and logistics to set up projects in North Kivu.
GRG uses a bottom approach to facilitate long-term community recovery and reconciliation. By working through groups, GRG supports locally designed projects which enable members to work together towards shared goals. These projects include livelihoods initiatives, farming, community savings and microfinance, counselling, reconciliation, and cultural activities.
- Experience in successful fundraising, particularly in grant applications and management
- Minimum 1 year of working in eastern DRC
- A large network with development partners in North Kivu and direct experience with program start-up or management in eastern DRC, including knowledge of legal requirements, taxes, costs, etc.
- Good knowledge of peace-building programs and local security issues in the Kivus
- Professional French and English speaking and writing
- Identify a suitable area and/or local partner for GRG projects in eastern Congo (GRG has some current leads but the consultant would go deeper to assess and help decide, together with GRG directors).
- Identify and secure funding partnerships for GRG projects in eastern Congo
- Devise detailed budgets for projects in eastern Congo.
- If the consultancy is successful in these 3 aspects, the consultant may be brought on as the Program Manager for GRG Congo.
Duration: 3 months with possibility of long-term contract, if the consultancy is successful
Start date: April 1, 2017
Location: Goma, DRC
Compensation: Approximately $2000 per month, depending on qualifications
More information: www.grassrootsgroup.org
Interested candidates should send their CV and a two page work plan in English that layout your approach and activities during the consultancy, to firstname.lastname@example.org