GRG is recruiting for a Radio and Field Program Associate: accepting applications until 26/10/2015Posted in News
Radio and Field Program Associate, GRG
The Grassroots Reconciliation Group (GRG) is recruiting a Radio and Field Program Associate to work on the ROCO GANG radio program airing on RADIO RUPINY and to support GRG program implementation across northern Uganda. This is a full time position (40 hours per week) and the Associate is expected to be available Monday to Friday from 9am to 9 pm and Saturday from 8am – 1 pm, as needed pending requirements of the Radio program. The Associate will report directly to the Program Director, and work in close collaboration with both GRG and RADIO RUPINY staff as directed. This is a new program implemented by GRG, which provides an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to help shape the Radio program and develop valuable management skill.
The ROCO GANG radio program builds on earlier come home messaging radio shows to encourage defections from the LRA. Six to nine formerly abducted people will be trained in public speaking skills and appear on air each month to share their experiences and call for others to come out. In addition to sharing their personal biographies, these former LRA members will also describe how they have reintegrated and re-settled home. The objective of the show is that these guest speakers on air serve as role models of positive personal transformation, showing how they have taken leadership roles to improve their communities.
GRG helps formerly abducted persons who have returned home after LRA captivity reintegrate and re-settle in their home communities. GRG uses a bottom-up approach and provides holistic programming to address economic and psycho-social needs in rural communities affected by the LRA war. GRG is a registered Ugandan NGO with the head office based in Gulu, Uganda.
The tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Focal point for meetings with LRA returnees that take part in to radio program
- Provide public speaking training to all guests before they appear on air (on average 6 -10 days of training per month with 6-9 radio guests)
- Coordinate and supervise travel logistics for guest speakers
- Collect recordings in the field, and/or conduct interviews with radio participants
- Support RADIO RUPINY staff with field visits and field recordings
- Appear on air as needed and/or supervise biweekly radio show
- Support the GRG Program Director in providing feedback and supervision to the RADIO RUPINY radio host
- Collect MP3 recordings from RADIO RUPINY no later than 12 hours after the show
- As needed, travel via bus to Entebbe to deliver the MP3 recording
- Translate and transcribe each radio show within 48 hours of the radio show airing
- Support the GRG Program Director and other staff in collecting bios for each on air guest and contributing to the design of radio adverts in advance of each radio show to highlight the particular topics and/or geographic areas
- To assist the GRG Program Director in all areas of project implementation, reporting and supervision
- As needed to, provide referrals to the GRG counsellor for traumatized or distressed guest speakers, callers during the radio show, or others living in the areas of GRG operations
- To provide support as needed to other GRG staff in the field and on other GRG projects
This is a one year contract which can be renewed by GRG dependent on funding and the commitment of the candidate selected.
The radio field associate must hold valid driver’s licenses to for both a motorcycle and a vehicle for trips to the field.
Candidates must have a diploma or bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Social Work, Counselling or a related field of study. Fluency in English and Acholi Luo is required and previous translation experience is a must. Previous field work with LRA victims and formerly abducted people is a plus.
Applications should be submitted online or to the GRG office before Friday Oct 26th, 12:00 pm. Please provide a 1 page cover letter and your CV. Top candidates will be contacted for interviews to be held in Gulu the week of October 26, 2015.
Send your email to email@example.com or visit us at our new office location next Ivory Guest House on Mama Cave Close (Plot 43) opposite Good Will Polyclinic.